Thursday, February 6, 2014

It's been awhile...

When I moved back to DC in July 2012, I remembered how busy the DC office is.  I was suddenly slammed with a new project (that would last until the following May) and other than trying new restaurants and hanging out with my friends, I didn't have a whole lot of interest going on, or time to blog.  So I didn't. 

So its been over a year. 15 months, to be exact.  And a lot has happened.  I was in two of my best friends' weddings and a bazillion more got engaged.  A few had babies and my weekends are now full of bridal showers, baby showers, bachelorette parties, weddings and first birthday parties.  And me?  Well I bought a house. 

A small one, but a house nonetheless.  A condo, if we want to be technical.  I got the idea in March, had a realtor by April and was under contract in June.  As far as home buying goes in DC, it was pretty painless.  I closed in July and moved in late August and, despite the definite challenges, fall a little bit more in love with it each day.  At some point, I may even begin to fix the things that have been breaking.


I left my well-loved NW neighborhood of Logan Circle for the lesser-known SE Capitol Hill.  I'm not a 'Hill' person - I don't work for the legislative branch and, not only will I not be impressed who you work for, I probably won't have the faintest idea who they are.  Somehow, though, this neighborhood works for me. 

I am a mere three blocks from the Capitol Building, which means my weekly long runs take me up and down the National Mall - one of my favorite running spots.  Last week I ran clear across the Mall to Virginia, which while only 4 miles away, left me feeling quite accomplished. 

I'm also a ten minute walk from Nats Stadium, which in addition to hosting the Nationals, hosts great concerts (Mom and I saw Sir Paul last July!) as well as Truckeroo - a gathering of the District's food trucks on Fridays during the warmer months.  Adjacent to the stadium is the Navy Yard area of DC - putting up new buildings left and right and on the brink of being one of DC's hottest new neighborhoods.  Blue Jacket - DC's latest brewery addition - has already opened and Whole Foods, Harris Teeter, and a new movie theater are all slated for the coming months and years.  I am very excited.

A few blocks to the east, along 7th and 8th streets are Eastern Market and Barracks Row.  The famed market burned down in 2007, but has been rebuilt and continues to be the premiere farmers market of DC.  Barracks Row, which includes a historic Marine Corps Barracks, contains a litany of shops and restaurants including my personal favorite, Ted's Bulletin.

But my neighborhood is not without downfalls.  The Navy Yard shooting and the high speed police chase at the Capitol Building were both within a half mile of my front door.  C
rime in SE is not great, but is usually contained to the southern side of the Anacostia.  And I am two blocks from the Capitol Powerplant - the power source for all things government, which is coal powered.  But while there is crime nearby, my street is also covered by three or more police departments at any given time and I have felt perfectly safe walking about. 

So, while the house has been the major accomplishment of the past year, I have a few exciting events planned for 2014 - the year I turn 30 - and I might just start blogging again!

1 comment:

  1. Nice to have you back in the blogosphere! Great re-entry...

    ReplyDelete