Friday, July 1, 2011

Today is a good day

Over the past week or so, I've really been noticing the slight changes in my body from working out - thinner waist, more defined shoulders, the slightest hint of an inner thigh muscle starting to show - but after working hard so for long, the scale had still refused to yield even one ounce. In fact, I'd gone up about 2 lbs, which my mom continually tried to comfort me saying it was muscle (which I'm sure is true on some level, but still frustrating).

This morning, the scale finally relented a full five pounds in my favor. I was absolutely giddy. I think it has a lot to do with the seriously upped mileage for running, combined with the lack of alcohol and increase in fruits and veggies over the past month. It also helped me surpass the goal I had for my birthday, which I've now lowered, but also gave me the much needed mental motivation to keep going.

Then I got to work and the day got that much better. July 1 is the beginning of Berger's fiscal year and also the day we get our raise letters. I had been in discussions for a raise based on the level of work I was doing, my completed master's degree, and my AICP cert, but you never quite know how raise time is going to go. It went well and I was bumped from Planner III to Planner IV and I already fit some of the qualifications for Planner V (Senior Planner), which is my goal for the next two years.

Today is my rest day, so I'll stick to an easy yoga class during lunch then head out a little early to go camping. But today has certainly put a big smile on my face.

1 comment: