Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Back in the US (SR)

I've had that song stuck in my head since I got back on U.S. soil (albeit briefly, as I ran through Dulles airport and cut the line at security so I could get through customs and reboard my plane). All of my planes, trains, and buses were on time and I got back to my place just after 7pm. Europe was incredible. In my copious free time I'm planning on doing a post for each city, but it may take me awhile to get my act together (and to steal the pictures from my mom).

Surprisingly, I haven't had much jet lag. I went to bed at 9 and slept til 5:30. Last night I went out with some friends for Rock and Roll Bingo (in place of doing the more responsible thing and getting groceries. I make only the best decisions). I stayed awake until 10:30 then slept til my alarm at 7. Makes me a bit nervous that it has been so easy. Like I may go to bed Friday night and not wake up until Sunday.

I'm surprisingly happy to be back in Denver and back in my routine. I had never traveled for that long of a time and by the end I was still enjoying myself thoroughly but I was sick of looking at my suitcase. And it really smelled. I put on my hoodie on the airplane, not having used it since the flight to Scotland, and immediately took it off and froze for the duration of the flight - it smelled that bad. But I doubt the guy next to me would have noticed.

He was a nervous flier, I noted as we took off and he white knuckled the arm rest. His solution to this was clearly to get thoroughly tanked. He ordered a jack and coke, with two jack daniels. He ordered two more, followed by a bloody mary with two vodkas. All in all he bought 8 $7 bottles of alcohol for an 8 hour flight. I'm glad he was on the aisle seat bc he peed every 30 minutes. But he laughed super loud at all the movies he watched and provided me with a wealth of entertainment.

To my delight, United had upgraded me to economy plus for my flight so I was awash with legroom and seat space. Today I found out I am 6,000 miles away from being an elite member - just in time for my 5 upcoming work trips between now and Thanksgiving! Certainly will make for nicer flights - free economy plus upgrades, free checked bags, and I think I get to board first too! I will achieve this just in time to lose the status on January 1st. C'est la vie!

For now, I'm just happy to be sleeping in my own bed, taking long, hot, full-pressure showers and the wrapping myself in my wonderfully large bathrobe. Its the simple things that traveling makes you appreciate. And I've got 10 more days to appreciate them until I'm back on an airplane, traveling to another park and another hotel room. I wouldn't have it any other way.

2 comments:

  1. Ahh your words are refreshing... a routine... denver... See you on the 3rdish of October!

    ReplyDelete