Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Two wheeled commute

Now that our office has moved downtown, I'm back to my bicycle commute! I'm still working the kinks out, but it is only 1.5 miles and is super easy. Given that the entire ride is on city streets, opposed to my wonderful Arlington trail, it isn't quite as peaceful as my old commute used to be, but I love it all the same.

I also officially joined the pricey gym next door and have gone twice this week already. I often forget how much working out makes me an all-around better person. Biking to work makes me alert and perky, even before coffee, and finishing my day at the gym sends me home full of energy and ready to get things done around the house. I am normally a pretty optimistic, happy-go-lucky person, but exercising regularly makes me even more so. And I like it.

What's nice about Denver (but has been a challenge to get used to, bike-wise) is that even at the same temperature, Denver weather seems warmer that DC. The sun is always out and there is no bone-chilling cold that shoots through whatever you are wearing. Back east, I had a set rotation of layers that I wore, which changed at every 10 degree increment. This morning it was 36 and I even rid myself of a layer, but was still sweating by the time I got to the office.

I also have braved the bus to work, given icy roads on Monday and 14 degree temperatures on Tuesday. I have managed not to get lost, but am still figuring out which stops are the fastest. Similar to DC, the bus seems to attract a wide assortment of characters including the young gentleman waiting at the bus stop last evening who asked whoever was on the receiving end of his cell phone if she had gotten her period yet. I hope the answer didn't ruin his day.

1 comment:

  1. Love that you can bike commute again. I can only do it a couple days a week, but it always starts my day off right!
    Psst. It's the lack of humidity in the air, so it's a "dry" cold. Out here on the east it's a damp cold. :)

    ReplyDelete