Thursday, November 10, 2011

People Actually Say That

Today I was told "Your reputation precedes you." I didn't think that happened outside of cliche movie lines.

Thankfully, it was a compliment and not "oh no, i know who YOU are, your reputation for forgetting to pack pants precedes you".

In the midst of crazy travel and work deliverables, I have been asked to be on a Berger-wide committee for Corporate Social Responsibility and Sustainability. Essentially, we've never had a committee like this before, so we all have no clue what we're doing (hooray!). The committee is broken into subcommittees: Ethics, Environment, and Equity. Why Rudi, you might be saying, you MUST have been asked to be on the Environment subcommittee, right? I mean, isn't that what you do day in and day out? Why yes, faithful reader, that IS what I do for a living. However, I'm heading up the Equity subcommittee because, well, no one else wanted to do it.

While I was originally bummed (I had thought I was being asked to do the environmental piece, too, and was getting all sorts of great ideas), I still think this will be interesting. Essentially we have to research other corporate policies, review our own equity breakdown, and then make recommendations to people in the company that matter. It's daunting but kind of exciting. I'm working on it with one of my bosses in Denver, but she is currently on maternity leave and I don't want her to feel like she should be spending her baby time on this! I'm hoping to use her to bounce ideas off of and to review what I pull together, but I'm more than happy to shoulder the load.

So that was my exciting news of the day, a day I spent on the phone from 9:30 - 3:45. I had never had so many calls run back to back all in one day! But the day started off with an email from my Big Big Boss (VP of my division) saying how proud she was of the good work I've been doing. So during a week where I was that person loudly running a conference call from the airport, it was was nice to get positive feedback!

2 comments:

  1. "Your reputation for forgetting pants precedes you..." :) And congrats! I heard that for the first time this summer at new teacher workshops and it's such a GOOD feeling!

    ReplyDelete