Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Race Report: Worcester 5k

While home in PA this past weekend, my training schedule called for me to race a 5K. I looked online and was delighted to find out that the only hometown race we have was being held that very same weekend - the Worcester Fire Department 5k.

I excitedly got my sister and a few friends to run with then realized - people who knew me when I was a much thinner person would have to see me in spandex. And it wouldn't be pretty. I shrugged it off and vowed to just 'suck it in' for most of the race.

I was excited to see if training at altitude would actually make a difference, as I have been banking on that theory to help me finish the SF half. I sprinted across the very high tech chalk start line and got about .3 miles into the race and thought "holy hanna, I'm going too fast" so I slowed it down and fell into a good pace for me. I crossed the first mile mark around 8:40 - one of my fastest miles ever!

The course had almost no shade and it was hot and humid, so by the third mile, I was glad I had joined up with my high school best friend's mom, Mrs. Houser. We chatted about her multitude of grandbabies and Meghan and Colorado until the uphill on the way back, where we both just talked each other into not walking.

I crossed the line at 28:53 (although my watch said 8:45), for an average mile of 9:20. By far my fasted 5k ever, in big thanks to Mrs. H. My hips were tight for the rest of the day and I wish I had had a foam roller, but was happy to have raced!

2 comments: