Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Stat-tastic

Last night I stumbled upon how to view my stats for this blog. I was absolutely ECSTATIC to find out that in just this past week, I've had page views from India and England (boy, you people must be bored!). In my 6,700 page views since starting, people have tuned in from Slovenia, Germany, Canada, Russia, Algeria, Argentina, and Malaysia! Kind of makes the world seem smaller, no?

This blog started out as just a way to do something non-school, non-work each day while I was getting ready to move to Denver. As I settled in, it became a way to keep my family up to date with my goings on (if they so-chose to read). I then realized my dad was sending it to everyone and their brother and felt a bit sheepish but figured hey, that's the point right?

This blog has never really had a purpose. While Katie can effortlessly recount amusing anecdotes about her training and races, I mostly come up with "I ran. It was hot. My calves hurt", which is far less interesting. In training for my Half, its mostly been "welp, went on work travel and didn't run one inch and ate everything in sight - again." I'm also terribly bad at remembering to take pictures, which often liven up other peoples blogs.

So I was excited to see that someone outside of my immediate family (and Katie, my faithful comment-leaver) is actually reading this! Even if they are only logging in to mock my posts filled with spelling mistakes and self indulgent ponderings, hey, at least they are reading!

What I found even more amusing, however, is that Blogger, in a somewhat unsettling way, also tracks what keywords people were using when they stumbled upon this little blog of mine. Some were fairly expected, like keywords for the AICP, which I blogged incessantly about this spring, but others I can't quite imagine how my blog got on the list for things such as: "peeing + triathlon" and "locker room naked" as well as "Jenna Wolfe." I think I've only blogged just once over my disdain for Ms. Wolfe and I can't quite recall ever mentioning peeing during a tri (which I haven't done, btw, but if I did, the Schuylkill would be cleaner for it). And ok, I do blog a lot about how uncomfortable I am with locker room nudity. Fair enough, Blogger.

I will try my best to be witty and clever, but on those days where my posts are lackluster and just say "today i ran some more. I still don't like running" I at least know Katie and my parents will be reading. And Blogger will be creepily tracking them.

5 comments:

  1. Btw, how do you check who's checked in to your blog?? That should have been included...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woohoo! Hi from your faithful Maryland (and sometimes Germany) reader :) This motivates me to get back to my blog...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rudi .. I am one of your faithful. thanks to Pops !! Mrs M !!

    ReplyDelete