Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Ok, now what?

I spent last weekend in DC really enjoying seeing all of my friends and not running a darn mile. My goals and plans to keep to my training scheduled failed miserable while actually traveling - something I need to be much, much better at.

This was the first trip where I actually thought, hey, I could live here again. I stayed with Marisa and Paul in their new adorable place near U St and I absolutely loved the neighborhood. I guess mostly I had pangs of regret that I never actually lived IN DC, but once I landed back in Denver I came to my senses again and realized I am far happier here.

I still came away, however, feeling somewhat pensive. Since the spring of 2007, I've had a plan. Go to grad school, get my masters, and take the AICP - all by the time I'm 26. Oh, and move to Denver.

Well, ok - now what?

I feel kind of goal-less. And sure, I have little short-term ones like "don't die at the SF half marathon" and "get your butt back into shape so you can keep up with all your active Denver friends", but I don't have any long term goals and this is a bit unsettling to me. I mentioned this to a good friend and soon-to-be former coworker and she asked if there were any projects at work I wanted to work on or anything new I wanted to try. But my goal was to continue running my own projects while beginning to work on bigger ones - but I'm already doing that. I'm not quite sure where to go from here.

It put me in a bit of a mood, so I started to try to think of all the things I'd wanted to do when I would dream of having free time: get back into the Red Cross training, take spanish lessons, get back to playing the guitar. These are all well and good, but I still feel like I need direction. And even scarier, those teeny tiny thoughts of going to law school are beginning to creep back in. Thankfully they are mostly squashed by the next thought of how much that would cost.

Luckily, I'll have almost no time this summer to think about all of this silliness. I am traveling at least two weeks a month until October; some for work, some for pleasure. Work is picking up like crazy and I have the half marathon and then the swim leg of a triathlon back to back in early August. So I guess I can put off my quarter-life crisis until November.

1 comment:

  1. i don't know what's next but it was good to see you this weekend!

    ReplyDelete