Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Denver? Sure, why not.

So a lot of people have been asking me "Why Denver?" I'll tell you. I don't know. I have no actual valid reason for moving to Denver. Heck, I've never even been there. As my childhood friend Jake so eloquently put it "You're moving across the country? By yourself? To a place you've never been?" Why yes, yes I am.

The idea of Denver sprouted in 2006, right when I was about to graduate from UMD. My company announced that they were opening an office in Denver and my direct supervisor was moving out there to head it up. I thought, well heck, that would be neat and promptly volunteered to move, too. But the big bosses said "um, well lets see if this office is a success before we start moving people." Well, as it turns out, the Denver office is one big giant success and within a year, they asked if I wanted to go out there. Unfortunately, I was newly settled in Arlington and was set to begin grad school. Fast forward four years and I'm ready to go! Put me in coach, I'm ready to play.

It is scary, though. While most of the time I'm thinking "Yay, I'm moving to Denver!" every so often I think "holy hanna, I'm moving to Denver?? Yikes. And honestly, I really like Arlington. I can bike to work, I know my way around, I rent a sweet, sweet townhouse (full of more stuff than could possibly ever fit back into a 1 bedroom apartment, but more on that later). But it goes back to that whole comfort zone thing. Moving to Denver will most certainly put me outside of my comfort zone. I've never lived more than 200 miles from where I grew up (or anywhere off the east coast) and I'm ready for a change. This move could be one big giant mistake, but at least I won't be left wondering "what if..." Its seldom in life that one can just pick up and go without any consideration for others (ie, no sig other, no babies) so why not?

It also helps a ton that my family will be helping me move. Mama B and Alliy Al are going to road trip out with me (through the south. in the summer) and we will all be in Denver in time to celebrate my birthday. I'm not big into birthdays, but it will be nice to spend this one with family and not all alone in a big new city without any friends!

So, my three faithful blog readers, that is why Denver.

4 comments:

  1. You will be GREAT in Denver! I moved 1200 miles away from home with no friends and to a place where the air temp can be -30. It's an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha yes yes, but you did it in college when NO ONE has any friends. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. C'mon! There were 8 people from Beaver Dam High School in my dorm! THEY had friends! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. make that 4 readers... :-)

    gotta send you a link to my sister's blog. Kinda frightful in some ways (she's a prof of comparative literature at the University of Toronto and can wax incomprehensibly at times, but yous bloggers gotta hang together!)

    Go Ru!

    D

    ReplyDelete