Saturday, January 7, 2012

Mission: Success

Last night I went to the DU hockey game. In what turned out to be quite the exciting third period, they lost to the Chargers from Alabama-Huntsville - a noticeably smaller (in stature) team that had been winless yet this season.

But more importantly, I did not drink beer. When we showed up, for whatever reason I was cranky. Tired, still not feeling well, and just plain old ornery. I want a frosty beer. I pouted in my seat for a bit and texted Lauren about wanting a beer. She, being the good friend she is, tried her best to dissuade me from having one. I think mostly it was my pride that stopped me. Who makes wide-sweeping claims about not drinking beer and then gives up in the first week? Not this gal, thats for darn sure.

And you know what? After about an hour, it wasn't even hard to resist. Those suckers were 7 bucks and I was saving money! After the game we all went out to the local bar and resisting wasn't even a challenge. One friend gave me a little bit of a hard time and tried to coax me into a mixed drink, but honestly I was looking forward to waking up feeling refreshed the next day. Which I did, mostly, when I finally awoke at 11am this morning. I guess my body really was worn out!

I've never been one for having a great amount of willpower. I like pizza and beer and my body reflects that. But I really like the feeling of accomplishment, no matter how small the feat, that I feel this morning. So now I'm off to the pool and then to the movies, taking my pride along with me.

Happy Saturday!

And seriously, read my dad's blog.

2 comments:

  1. Dave just texted Josh...he already caved on dry January. It was hard last night, but Josh and I are still in it! And waking up refreshed was awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, Hold Stong. Nice background btw

    ReplyDelete