Friday, May 21, 2010

Bike to Work Day

Today was bike to work day. I'm not sure if this was DC-centric or a national event, but, for the first time in two weeks, I was happy that I was not biking to work. All day I've been trying to think of a comparable event. A one day celebration of people doing something that they don't know how to do.

Biking to work in DC includes many fine tuned etiquettes. Bike on one side of the trail. Let the biker in front of you know you're passing. Slow down so a biker can pass you and cross back into the correct lane. Crossing the Key Bridge? There's a whole 'nother set of courtesies.

My bike is still sadly at work. I watch regular bikers pass me on my walk to the metro and it makes me sad. My sole goal for next week is to bike home just once, so that my bike returns to its garage abode. I hope the hills don't kill me.

Today we finished up the bulk of the public comment work. There is still quality check and report writing to go, but the monster that was following me all week long has subsided. I even got the night off! Sure, I have to work tomorrow, but for now, I'm happily watching a movie and enjoying a glass (or two) of vino. and popcorn. Don't tell mom that was my dinner, as I have yet to make it to the grocery store. Again.

I also indulged in some wine-encouraged REI online shopping. Always a dangerous event. There has been a jacket I've been eyeing up - today it went on sale PLUS I had a $50 gift card. If only I had stopped there...

This weekend will bring work, a bbq, going away party and then the purging of all possible items I own. I'm kind of looking forward to it. I like the idea of getting rid of as much unnecessary clutter as possible before I move. New city, new space, clear the mind, clear the clutter.

And if anyone's looking for a TV, toaster oven, size 6 clothes from 2002, or a year's worth of APA planning magazines...you know where to look!

1 comment: