Monday, May 3, 2010

So long, dear friend

After a week of traveling around North Carolina for my job and up to Philly for a weekend wedding, I am finally back in DC. Sleeping in my bed last night was glorious. I'm sad to have missed a week's worth of posts, but my brain was so overtaxed nothing would have been coherent.

This morning I was told some very troubling news, though. My favorite bar in DC, where my best friend bartends and I know the owners, has been sold. We didn't even get to say goodbye. We will all hang out on Saturday and pour one out for our fallen comrade.

18th and Red, as we shall fondly remember it (or as much as we are able to remember), has witnessed many a drunken adventure in our lives. It was to be the location of our final goodbye party as Lauren and I left DC, but alas, it was not to be.

18th and Red was with us since early 2007. I've celebrated 4th of Julys, new years, more birthdays than I can count (or remember, for that matter), and she never let me down. Within the strip of bars along Adams Morgan, 18th and Red always welcomed me with open arms, holding a beer. It was a place to unwind and a place to forget whatever was going on in life. "Dance it out" was christened here and will never be forgotten. Your dance floor has witnessed many shenanigans.

So long, dear friend. You will be missed.

18th and Red
2007-2010

2 comments:

  1. oh sad. I wish I was here to drink one with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its already closed! We didn't even get to have one last night! booooo!

    ReplyDelete