Friday, May 7, 2010

Heavy Heart

No wit or happiness today. I just found out that last night a girl I went to high school with had passed. I had been friends with Jenn since middle school - we swam on the Methacton Aquatic Club together, always goofing off during practice. We would hang out at her house after school and annoy her older brother. She was one of the happiest people I have ever had the fortune to meet.

We didn't keep in touch after high school and, like most friendships, it became an electronic one held together through facebook. I had known that she had had a liver transplant, but was generally better. Earlier this winter she was stuck in the hospital with a high fever and no diagnosis. I was looking at her facebook profile earlier this week and thought "she looks SO happy in her picture. I should send her a message and see how she is doing" But I never did. The week got busy and I didn't get around to it. I read her facebook wall, now full of postings from friends and family mourning her loss but remembering her joy and laughter. It could not have been more appropriate that her last status update was "Oh Happy Day".

I didn't feel comfortable posting on her wall, but I did finally send her that message. I know that it is our loss that she is gone and that she is happy and healthy now, but that doesn't make it any easier to deal with.

No comments:

Post a Comment