Monday, May 10, 2010

Grad School, your days are numbered

This past Friday I turned in my final paper for the Spring 2010 semester. Officially, only 5 credits stand between me and the return of my social life. I also did a little dance of joy: I will never have to attend class after work ever again.

The last two semesters I've been a full time graduate student. Nine credits, three classes. I did this after realizing late August 2009 that I had miscalculated my credits. I was a class short. After surviving the Fall semester fairly unscathed, I realized that if I took another full term, I could move to Denver a year early. I'm really glad I did, I don't think I could have survived another year of grad school. I enjoyed my classes, but I felt like I could not commit enough to either work or school, so I ended up feeling like I was slacking on both.

So my final semester will be Fall 2010. I'll take one online course and finish up my Capstone Practicum. I'm lucky. I found a practicum project that I LOVE. Through talking with various consultants and NPS staff at a recent public meeting, I got connected with the NPS's Human Dimensions of Resource Management Division and will be helping write a presentation for a July symposium which will then become a collaborative governance manual. Still with me? Probably not. It's a little confusing, but essentially I'm interviewing planners and federal agency staffers to discuss the current public involvement process and how it can be improved. It is an interesting topic to me, especially when discussing gateway communities outside of National Parks (such as my current project, Cape Hatteras).

If you've continued to read this far, I commend you (mom and dad). It's boring stuff to most people. I kind of fell into my line of work - I was stuck in that horrible pattern of no one hiring because I had no work experience, but not getting any work experience because no one would hire me! It was the pits. But Berger hired me as an intern my senior year in college, and I can honestly say I love my job. It challenges me and allows me to try new things (even when I regret asking to take on new work and want to go back to a simpler time with less responsibilities!). I have watched friends be miserable in their jobs and I recognize how fortunate I am.

Are you happy in your profession? If not, what would be your dream job?

1 comment: