Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Back to the treadmill

This week I have finally gotten back into my workout pattern. During my last few weeks in DC, I stopped working out so A.) I could pack at night, and B.) so I could spend more time with Lauren. I figured, why waste all that time in the gym when I only had a few weeks left? It wasn't very hard to convince myself that my time was better spent elsewhere. And, ok, I really hate going to the gym.

In Denver, however, I get winded going up a flight of stairs so I figured my lungs and heart would adjust to the altitude faster if I started working out again. After many failed attempts to actually go to the gym last week, I finally ran a mile around my neighborhood last week, followed by a ride around town on the weekend.

Monday I was back in the gym, starting my lifting routine. I started with legs, thinking those clydesdales were ready for whatever came at them. Unlike Katie and her Eastern European heritage, I have no idea whether or not the Scottish were built for hard labor. I always thought they were pretty much just built for hard drinking. Instead of sturdy thighs, I'm supposed to have a sturdy liver for imbibing scotch and eating haggis.

But alas, I've got "functional legs". They get me where I'm going, but they've never looked terribly good while doing it. My calves are so large, I often can't buy boots because I can't squeeze them in. Thank goodness I have tiny ankles or I'd have a serious case of cankles. But anyhow, back to lifting...

I started with legs. They were a little cranky yesterday, but nothing bad so I decided to run Tuesday night. Since the previous mile had obliterated me and I wanted to get a little more distance, I alternated run 0.5 mile, walk 0.25. Towards the end of the 3rd mile, my heart rate barely dropped during the walking. it felt great to really dig deep and push hard during the last run, though. I got so impatient waiting for the 0.5 mile to be over, that I upped the speed of the treadmill.

I can barely walk today, but it feels good. Sure, my coworkers are probably questioning why I'm hobbling around the office, but its about time they get to realizing how odd I really am - no sense hiding behind a facade. I'm awkward and proud of it.

Overall, it took me 38:30 to finish this 5k, my slowest time by far and almost a full 10 minutes off of my PR. But that's ok. Now I have a starting point from which I can compare all future runs. I plan on doing this run/walk once a week, aiming to lower my time (and heart rate) each time. My thighs may not get any smaller, but they'll be faster at getting me where I'm going.

1 comment:

  1. kickass, chickie! this is an awesome start back. you'll get there. even without someone lying to you about how far it is. :)

    also, i have giant calves that don't fit into boots either. wtf?

    ReplyDelete