Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Rudi versus the Coffee Maker

At my old office in DC, we used K-cups for brewing coffee. The epitome of laziness and wastefulness, they were blissfully simple. I had my perfect routine: Turn on computer, make coffee, read email. It was a nice way to start my day.

Here in Denver, it's a little bit different. For one, while we'd be piled up 3 deep in line for coffee in DC, I have only seen one other person in the Denver office drinking coffee. This does not compute. They get here so early! And they get less oxygen in their blood (thank you, altitude) - how on EARTH are they surviving without coffee?!

The Denver office also has a 12-cup coffee maker. My first day, I did battle with this machine, resulting in coffee so bad that not even three splendas could save it. (I lost count while scooping in the grounds). Three sips in, I was forced to give up and dump it out. This morning, I was back for round two. Carefully measuring the correct amount of water and then counting as I scooped, today's coffee is at least drinkable, but still not the delicious, perfectly made cup of coffee that awaited me each morning in DC.

Perhaps its the creamer. In DC, I brought my own in mainly because powdered creamer just seems too unnatural for me. I just hope I can manage to concoct a better cup of coffee soon, or I fear for my coworkers, as my perky facade fades into my irritable, unfriendly self.

I really am a much better person with coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment