Thursday, July 29, 2010

No me gusta pantelones

I don't like pants. It's not that I'm terribly fond of skirts, I just don't like the restriction of pants. Its the same reason I wear flip flops over mostly any other shoe, but that's for another day.

I've never really cared for wearing pants. In college and a little while after, I was famous (or infamous) for walking in the door of my apartment and promptly removing my pants, usually leaving them in a crumpled heap by the doorway, I'm sure much to the chagrin of my roommates. After one summer of landscaping when I was left with a dark tan line across mid thigh, my college roommate Devon lovingly termed socks, tee-shirt and my 'white shorts' - really just my pale thighs - my uniform.

So it was with a bit of apprehension that I ventured to REI last weekend to find some new pants. I don't wear shorts (please see yesterday's post), and I only had one pair of North Face capri pants. I had bought these pants a size too big so I could climb in them, but they gave me a serious case of droopy drawers. I was in dire need of new pants.

What I found was so much better. After finally finding the women's section (all the way at the top, REI tricksters), I was a bit overwhelmed by the selection. I picked out a random smattering of colors, lengths and sizes and headed for the dressing room. About three pairs in, I had found my dream pants: Columbia's Just Right Knee Pants.

Now the REI picture does these pants no justice. The material is beyond light. Perfect for biking and wicking away sweat or hiking in the rain. It's just slightly stretchy - enough to be comfortable with a lot of movement, but not so tight that its spandexy (because NO one wants to see that). It has a simple, small zipper with a flat button closure - no added bulk around my middle. This was a big issue with my North Face pants, which tied at the top - not flattering to my already extended belly area. I was in heaven.

After picking out my dark green pair, several shirts, and another pair of knee-length khaki shorts, I set out to explore the rest of the store. I wandered through the fleece jackets, mentally picking out which one I wanted once my moving expenses have been paid off. Meandered through the women's pack area, seeing which ones I liked and plotting to return in March to claim one with my dividends. But all the while, I couldn't stop thinking about my new pair of pants.

At $50, these pants weren't outrageous, but they weren't cheap. After sitting down in the middle of the biking aisle and counting up my purchases, I returned to the women's area and got a second pair in light grey. Impulsive? Yes. Regrettable? Not one bit! I wore the green pair on my ride to the movies and grocery store on Sunday and they still felt every bit as good as they did standing the dressing room.

I might just learn to love pants after all.

2 comments:

  1. you're so silly. pants are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo I like them! I have a pair of Columbia pants that are a little heavier, but I agree with the flat tummy closure. Mine roll up and buckle so they're like ankle pants. I wear them with flippy flops and got them on sale at REI. They fit great!

    ReplyDelete