Thursday, February 17, 2011

Look Ma - I'm artistic!

So the reason I went to the gym bright and early yesterday was because I had big and exciting plans after work yesterday. Ok, maybe not big and exciting, but I had plans nonetheless.

Back in the fall when my coworker mentioned that he sometimes went to this place called "Sipping and Painting" I scoffed and said I'd never be caught dead there: I have no artistic ability and that would just stress me out, no matter how much wine they provided.

In January, however, my boss said that she and her husband had bought two groupons for Sipping and Painting and that since they bought more than one, they got a free one and would I like to go. Since it was free I figured hey, why not? I have absolutely no iota of artistic ability. I'm crafty, yes, but mostly with renovations and rehabs of old furniture. Painting? I think not. There are clay sculptures throughout the house that prove my shaky history with the arts. This trait does not just belong to me, however, there was once a sad, lopsided paper mache Cyrano de Bergerac in our basement that confirms my lack of artistic talent is genetic.

But again, it was free. Nothing ventured nothing gained. So I rode my bike over to the Highlands section of Denver last night, got my token for a free glass of wine, and settled in with my paint and blank canvas.

To my surprise, I really enjoyed it. I was not nearly as stressed as I thought I would be. There is a specific painting taught each night, but you dont have to follow that design or the suggested color scheme. The background suggested was black, which I didn't like at all, so I got to mixing up my own paint colors and decided on teal. I got a little impatient listening to the instruction on how to do the martini glass, so I just forged my own path instead. I had fun mixing up new colors and not worrying about my shaky lines or misshapen olives (although the two glasses of wine certainly helped quell my inner-critic) and it actually turned out fairly well! I daresay I'd go back.

So without further ado - my painting:

Versus what it was 'supposed' to look like, in theory:

1 comment: