Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Week 1 is history

This morning I took the bus to the gym before work and finally finished a full week one of Katie's workout (what's that you say? It took me ten days instead of seven? never you mind that...). After having pushed the pace for the last 2-3 weeks on my 2 mile runs, I eased up and kept it at 5.7 mph (10:31 minute miles) for my 'long' run (a whopping three miles). I was supposed to keep my run/walk at run 2/walk 1 but I felt good and ran the whole first mile, then switched to run 4/walk 1 until the last run, which I think ended up being 6 minutes to finish out the third mile. The pace felt really good and I think its what I'll aim to keep for the half.

I am also slowly growing accustomed to the crazy exhibitionists in the locker room in the morning. While you might be saying 'hey Rudi, you were a swimmer, aren't you used to naked bodies running all over the place?!' I'd have to say no, no I am not. Sure, there was that one time my relay team for states went skinny dipping in the pool at Methacton after our last practice, but we didn't always have rampant nudity in the locker room. Ok, sometimes we did, but we were all much skinnier back then (or at least I was).

This morning, one woman in the shower didn't even bother to close her curtain, much to my chagrin. Others were drying their hair or running to and from the shower just as God made them. They might have been judging me just as much though, as the girl with no shower shoes. I had forgotten them again - although lets be honest; the floor of that shower is probably cleaned more often than my shower at home and CERTAINLY is cleaned more often than Allison's shower, so how dirty can it be?

All in all, I'm getting to like the AM workouts, locker room nudity aside. And while I scoffed at the idea of paying $10/month to have your own locker at the gym, if morning workouts became routine, I'd definitely consider it. I'm not particular about what hair and body products I use, but the free shampoo and conditioner certainly leaves something to be desired. Plus then I could keep shower shoes there :)

3 comments:

  1. oh man, i hate the people who parade around naked. ugh. nice job this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! Now wait a sec...I have never had any fungi from my shower. At least not this shower. And if you paid $10 you'd always have the same locker #!

    ReplyDelete
  3. aah i hate the prolonged locker room nudity! brings flashbacks to the awkward woman at the W-L pool who liked to sit in the chairs in all her glory...yuck! good job though :)

    ReplyDelete