Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Ok, this IS the week....

...that I will finally finish week one of Katie's running workout. For the last three weeks I have managed two out of the three runs suggested, but have yet to complete it. Third time's the charm, right?

I did one of the week one short runs again last night. I've been trying to push the pace a lot for these, since how hard is it to run hard for two miles when every third minute is walking?? Instead of easing into the pace last night, I just went hard right after warm up and learned a very valuable lesson: don't do that. Within the end of the first mile, I had to stop twice to stretch out my shins, but to no avail. I angrily hopped over to the elliptical for five minutes then tried again. I reduced the speed a bit and my shins seemed to calm down and I did my second mile. For better or worse, 6.0 mph now feels 'easy' and it used to be my fast pace. I'd like to run the half marathon between a 10 to 10:30 minute mile pace, so I try to get closer to 9 min miles for my short runs. I have no idea if this makes logical sense or is recommended, but it makes sense to me, so I'm sticking with it.

Otherwise, its been a beautiful week in Colorado. Last night I went over to Kyle's with some beers and he taught me how to fix my bike. More accurately, he fixed my bike while I watched and drank said beers. I learned a few things that I had really been doing wrong which should help keep my bike in better shape from now on. I happily rode into work this morning in the nice weather. I even threw on my winter biking gloves, just because I haven't gotten much of a chance to use them yet. I'm eagerly looking forward to some more gym time (I have actually missed the gym and veggies, my three week bender is officially over) and then biking home to relax and clean in anticipation for Marisa's Friday arrival!

1 comment:

  1. hooray for running workout! your shins will calm down, just go easy on the speed for the first few weeks. :)

    ReplyDelete