Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Bucket List: Revisited

So in all the hustle and bustle that has been my May, the Bucket List has spent a lot of time on the bench. Luckily, way back in April, a few of us bought tickets to go see Aisha Tyler at DC Improv. I've wanted to go to the Improv for at least 5 years, but it just never seemed to happen. It's not expensive and it's easy to access, so I really had no excuse. Since we got tickets super early, we were literally right on the stage. Literally. During the first warm-up act, Beth snorted amazingly loud, which drew a response from the comic. Awesome. During the second warm-up act, the comic referred to us as the "Sex and the City girls". I was the "fun one", Lauren was the "smart one", and Beth was "the whore". I found it quite hilarious. Aisha was really funny, but way more vulgar than I ever expected! I daresay some of it made me blush.


After we left the show, we scooted on up to Adams Morgan to try out a new bar that Tommy recommended. I must say, I was unimpressed, but Lauren, Beth and I bring the fun with us wherever we go, so we had a good time. After a mediocre fake jumbo slice (we were in the dead zone where U St, Dupont, and Adams Morgan all meet), we jumped in a cab and headed off to my office. The good thing about stopping up into Adams Morgan was that we managed to convince Tommy, his roommate Pat, and his girlfriend Bridget that watching the sunrise at the Lincoln Memorial was an excellent idea! At the office, we picked up our nalgene bottles and champagne to keep us company until dawn. After wasting some more time by playing catch phrase around my office's conference table, we were off! The Lincoln Memorial is just a hop skip and a jump away from my office, so we meandered down there on foot.

By around 5:15, I was losing steam, but determined to accomplish my first official all-nighter. Even in college, while cramming for huge, scary Chem tests, I never managed to stay up all night. Somewhere around 3 or 4 am, I lost my will to care and would nod off.

We arrived at the Lincoln Memorial and I was determined to sit in Lincoln's lap, only to find that the Memorial has 24 hour security. Bummer. No morning snuggles with Lincoln.

Well hey there, Abe

But the security, as unfriendly as they were, were fine with letting us all sit on the steps and wait for sunrise. Surprisingly, we weren't the only ones there! And by 5:30, we spotted our first runner of the day. Crazy people, those runners.

Good Morning, DC!

Overall, it was an excellent night. Two bucket list items in one day. It's nights like these that make me think, why am I leaving these awesome and amazing friendships? It's scary to move to a town where I can literally count my friends on one hand, but I think I'm ready for the adventure.

1 comment:

  1. you guys look sleeeeepy. i bet all the runners were like "walk of shame, girls, walk of shame."

    ReplyDelete