Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Luck

As previously discussed, I have been incredibly lucky. But beyond the big over arching gratitude inducing luck (health, family, job, etc), I've had the most insane amount of random luck in my life.

Take this weekend, for example. I leased the very first apartment I saw. And it is AMAZING. I have been researching/craigslist-stalking apartments in Denver for the better part of the last seven months. Nothing, NOTHING I have seen previously even compares to how sweet my new apartment is. Nothing.

This is not the first time I've been that lucky with apartments. Both the apartment on Washington Blvd and my sweet, sweet townhouse were both the first places Lauren and I looked. And they rocked. I have witnessed friends visit apartment after apartment just trying to find something mediocre, so I realize what a rarity my luck has been. I was almost sure that this time, given the distance and the timing, my luck would run out. Happily, it hasn't.

And while I include 'job' in my big over-arching luck category, it really boiled down to just plain old dumb luck. I was just back at UMD for my senior year and needed a job. Any job, really, but one in my field would have been amazing. I happened to be going through a listserve email from my program advisor and Berger just happened to be looking for interns. I didn't even really know what 'environmental consulting' was, but it sounded like it was in my field so I sent in my resume. I also knew I eventually wanted to get a Master's degree, but had no idea what in. Now, five years later, I am very happy at my job and close to finally completing my Master's degree in Urban and Regional Planning (who knew this was even a discipline?? I certainly didn't...). And all because of dumb luck.

My final bit of dumb luck this weekend happened at the Dallas-Fort Worth airport, of all places. Faced with a two hour layover, I wandered over to the bar across from my gate because all of the other seats were taken (and also, a miller lite really does just hit the spot sometimes. I recognize that my miller lite drinking days may be numbered, as fancypants microbrews and Coors Light reign supreme out in Denver...). Anyhow, whilst sitting at the bar, enjoying my "so large this is definitely going to make me have to pee on the plane, thus disrupting my entire row" beer, the guy next to me starts chatting. I mention that I was out apartment hunting in Denver and the guy on the other side of him chimes in, saying he is on his way back to Denver. Lo and behold, we both come to learn that as of July, we will both be living within a block of each other, quite possibly within the same building. If that's not dumb luck, I don't know what is! I only wish that I had showered that morning so I wasn't as groady while making new friends...

So it appears as though the Denver gods are smiling upon my move. I am now up to a whopping 5 friends in Denver, only 3 of which are through work! Yay for friends! Now if only I would stop stressing about moving those darn couches...

1 comment:

  1. i just realized i have no idea what your undergrad degree is in (beer?). silly. i'm so glad you got your dream apartment! washer/dryer hurrah! one step closer to an awesome life change!

    ReplyDelete