Wednesday, June 9, 2010

White Room = Sad Face

Now that the moving boxes are beginning to pile up, my house is looking sadder and sadder. In an effort to clear out my room yet not annoy my roommates, I've been hiding boxes in every nook and cranny of my house. On Monday, I took all of the pictures and curtains off my wall to spackle the nail holes and it looked so sad it made my roommate cry. Tonight, after a hellacious day at work, I'm going to tackle painting my beautiful tan and maroon room back to dullsville white.

I have a lot of memories from the day Lauren and I painted our rooms. We hadn't moved in yet - heck, we didn't even have power or water yet. It was hot as heck, so we sweltered without AC and tried to paint before the sun went down. I remember taking a break for lunch, getting our patented "Potbelly's Sandwich with Chipotle Chips" combo. It was delicious. We sat on the floor of her room and were so excited to be moving in.

It was also the day an ex-boyfriend, who had very unceremoniously dumped me via text, came over to grovel. He had wanted to meet up to talk and I had told him that I was fully busy that weekend, but if he wanted to come over while I was painting, he could. I was pretty darn proud that I basically told him to shove it.

I remember painstakingly taping the seam in the wall where the maroon wall met the tan walls (thankfully there is no need to tape with white!). I remember trying not to drink too much water because our bathrooms weren't working and I didn't want to have to walk back to the old apartment to pee. I remember standing in my new room, completely in love with the colors I had picked (I still love them).

Looking back, I am envious that I had the luxury to paint the room sans furniture. It will be a more delicate task to keep my things paint-free, if I am even able to move some of the larger pieces on my own.

I will be sad to look at my room for the next 22 days. I am obviously excited about Denver, but the painting of my room really, truly signals the end of my time in DC and the beginning of a new chapter.

1 comment:

  1. that's right, groveling boy! take a freakin' hike!

    sad face indeed. :(

    ReplyDelete