Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Adventures in weight training

Whenever I read Katie's blog about crazy want-to-vomit work outs, I must admit, I have never wanted to feel that way. I don't have the drive to workout like she does, although I freely admit that I get the same post-workout high that she thrives on.

Yesterday was just a typical terrible, horrible, very bad, no good kind of day. No one thing in particular, just cranky and, if I'm being honest, pretty darn hungover (darn it, I'm not 21 anymore!!). It was the perfect day to go home from work, put on sweatpants, and nom on some deliciously bad food.

But alas, I had a date with Ronnie. Since my session wasn't until 6, I went early and hopped on the elliptical for a bit. And filled with a day full of rage and aggression, I kicked that elliptical's butt! By the time 6pm rolled around, I was amped up and ready to destroy some weights. We started out with some killer lunges and didn't look back. I could barely walk after finishing them and had to stretch my hamstrings before everything else we did. It felt great!

Again, a lot of what he had me do wasn't just a simple free weight exercise. For example, for some shoulder/bicep work, he had be do the arm exercises while standing on one foot on a foam/bouncy pad - talk about a full body workout! While using a crazy movable arm machine that would have intimidated the heck out of me, he had me do the exercises while standing on the Bosu ball (which is quickly becoming my nemesis). My legs were quivering all over the place so much that I barely noticed the arm workout I was getting. For the first time, I really thought I might both puke and pass out all at once.

So far, Ronnie gets an A and I'm so glad I decided to try out having a trainer. And my bad mood was banished by the time I had left the gym - an excellent end to Monday!

1 comment:

  1. bosu bosu bosu! and I don't always like it when I want to vomit. just sometimes.

    p.s. thought of you during my giant swim fail yesterday. ugh.

    ReplyDelete