Friday, March 11, 2011

Adventuresome Eater

I am a picky eater. I have always been. My sister is not much better, although we have both gotten better in recent years. When we did a month-long road trip across the country when we were 7 and 11, my dad jokes that we "chicken fingered and hamburgered our way". And we did.

But since moving to Denver, I have been somewhat shamed into trying new things, especially when they are free, which is always my excuse (I hate paying to try something new - what if I hate it? Then I'm out the money and still hungry!) I've been trying a lot of things off of other people's plates and surprisingly have liked a good amount of them. Not enough to order them on my own, most likely, but enough not to want to throw up.

That is until yesterday. A boss from the DC office came out and took us all out to lunch - to a sushi place. We ordered lots of things for the table and I figured tuna was a safe bet. The first one I tried had lots of craziness it in, plus spicy tuna. It wasn't bad, but definitely had something in it that was amiss. Next I tried just a simple spicy tuna roll. I think I liked this the best, but boy was it spicy! I was eager to try the white tuna roll - tuna and avocado. It sat on my plate awhile; I had used up all my new-food bravery on the first two rolls. I finally tried it and things went wrong almost instantly. I hated it. I am weird about textures and something in this roll was horrible.

I fought the urge to dry heave (I still did, though) and although it took me several minutes, I got the roll down. I think my coworker next to me was fairly concerned I was going to boot, most likely on him. They stopped encouraging me to try more sushi.

What's even odder about the whole experience is that I think it was the avocado that was giving me the weird texture issue. And I like avocado. Well, I like guacamole. I thought I was safe eating that roll. But lesson learned, I suppose.

Overall, I've still got more seafood under my belt in 2011 than I ever ate from 1984-2010 combined. I'm sure my officemates will still shame me into trying more things, but I think sushi is officially on the no-go list.

2 comments:

  1. yeah, i can't deal with sushi either. the texture!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You seriously crack me up. I love sushi. I love all vegetables. I am determined to make Katie love brussel sprouts...I'm totally making them when she visits in April!

    ReplyDelete