Thursday, March 3, 2011

Lead legs

Last week Katie talked about how she got yelled at for biking 40 miles one day and then doing a tempo run the next. I kept thinking, well why does that matter? This morning I learned why.

After biking to/from work and spinning yesterday, I hopped on the treadmill this morning with a goal to beat my three mile time from Tuesday. Within the first half mile, I almost quit. Heck, I almost switched to the elliptical in the first quarter mile. My legs felt like someone had filled them with lead overnight.

I reduced my speed from 6.0 mph to 5.7 mph and gave it a go. They were not easy miles, but I finished them. I actually found that my during my minute-long walks (ran 8/walked 1 again), my legs would almost stiffen up again and switching back to running was difficult. But I finished my three miles in 31:45, a whole thirteen seconds less than Tuesday's run. And that's ok.

My body is tired. It's once angry angry with me for not sitting on the couch and eating lots of junk food. Although really, it gets mad at me when I do that, too, so really my body needs just make up its darn mind. But tomorrow will be a 'rest' day, with only a yoga class during lunch to appease my tight muscles.

Tonight I've got my first restaurant week dinner! I wonder if we'll get an early-bird, senior citizen discount, since our reservation is at 5:00. I'm headed to Vita in the Highlands section of Denver and I'm pretty excited!

2 comments:

  1. awwwww. yeah, not so much for the biking and speedwork.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rumor around town is that we live in the same neighborhood and would probably get along well (these rumors come from Lauren PT). We should grab coffee or something sometime!

    My email address is: mcginley.julie@gmail.com.

    :) Julie

    ReplyDelete