Thursday, March 10, 2011

Three Things Thursday

1.) Saturday night I went to a local Roller Derby 'bout' and loved it. They made announcements about recruiting so I emailed them. This Sunday I'll head down to their practice arena to borrow some skates and see how I like it. If I'm terrible and fall on my butt, well, at least I'll know. If I'm not terrible, I can go back each week and train and practice until I can buy my own gear and then about 4 times a year they have try-outs. I think my favorite derby name people have suggested for me so far is RUde Awakening. Undertaker's Daughter was already taken.

2.) I had an appointment with the world's rudest optimologist on Tuesday. It took two hours, including the 20 minute lecture he gave me on how irresponsible I am for not having come in sooner, even though I couldn't afford it (um hello, I made the appointment literally the day I got vision coverage.) He did send me away with a set of soft contacts to try and a set of 'loaner' gas permeables (my new ones come in Friday). The loaner hard contacts he gave me don't fit quite right, so I've been wearing the soft ones and I actually really like them.

3.) Last night I tried to light an innocent little fire in my fireplace and ended up backfilling the entire apartment with smoke (and yes, I had opened the flue - apparently it was stuck and though the handle moved, the flue did not). I opened all my windows and put my fan on to blow the smoke out, but it wasn't working so I opened my door to the hallway, and stood there with my fan, pulling air from the hallway into my apt and through to my open windows. This apparently filled all of my neighbors apartments with smoke. They are very old and this was the first time I met them. I'm pretty sure they hate me. The one old lady didn't even try to hide it. The other one was nice and I might leave her a thank you note with some Bergen's Chocolates that I still have boxed up from Christmas.

1 comment:

  1. thom was very excited when he saw your roller derby post. do it!

    ReplyDelete