Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Ouch and also, Yay!

Ok, first things first. Runners: I have a question. I have always been a winter runner. I don't like to overheat (swimmers don't sweat), so my running gear always consisted of at LEAST a tee-shirt. Yesterday it was a beautiful 62 degrees in sunny Denver so I ran in a tank top. Ouch. The insides of my upper arms got rubbed raw. It hurt an incredible amount and I came home and just rubbed vaseline all over my arms and side. Is this normal? Is there anything I can do about it? When I asked a woman in the locker room this morning, she proceeded to show me where her sports bra cuts her boobs sometimes, so I will forever be afraid to ever ask any questions in the locker room again. And just as I was getting used to all that nudity...

But back to the task at hand: Yesterday I had another kick-butt run. It was fueled a little bit by anger, but I went home determined to run my scheduled 3 miles really hard. I finally got my phone/pacer to work (although sometimes I'd look down and it would flash from 8:03 up to 11:20 without feeling like I had changed my pace all that much, so I am dubious to its quality). Anyhow, I am suddenly finishing week 4 of Katie's plan, so I had a 3-miler of run 8/walk 1 on my plate.

I rocked it. I was originally disappointed with my 3-mile time of 31:57, but after some reflection and math, I'm ok with it. Overall, that's a 10:39 pace. I figured I did at least 4 minutes of walking/waiting at traffic lights, so I factored those in at 15 mph, did a little calculations (no small feat for me, mind you) and figured out my running pace averaged 10:21. I had really wanted to see that pace begin with a 9, but that just isn't realistic. This was my first outdoor, hard run and, honestly, a 10:30 pace is my usual "i'm in good shape and have been running a lot" pace, so I should be happy. I'm on my way.

This morning I also found the secret to waking up at an unGodly hour: find a song that makes you want to dance. Set your alarm to it. Turn your alarm up really loud. I popped out of bed without even hitting snooze, danced around, then headed for my spin class. Last night I got the best night's sleep since taking my TV out of my room. I think I was actually getting too much sleep and need less now that my sleep quality is better. I went to bed after 11 and woke up at 5:30 and feel amazing. Will continue to test this theory!

2 comments:

  1. BODYGLIDE. buy the biggest thing you can find and slather yourself with it in all your ouchy places before you run.

    also, sweet run! nice job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, bodyglide. looks like a mini deodorant. i have a couple running tanks that will rub under my arm... so put the tank on and then slather with bodyglide on the areas that might chafe!

    ReplyDelete