Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Windy Wednesday

So my first winter in Denver has been incredibly mild and I'm surely in for a rude awakening next year. However, spring has brought more wind than I ever thought possible. The last three days have been constant winds, upwards to 50-75 mph gusts.

To put that in perspective, the small 100 acre wildfire in nearby Golden grew to over 12,000 acres yesterday, courtesy of the winds. On each of my bike rides home, I have nearly been blown over - either into on-coming traffic or into parked cars. I'm not sure which would be worse. On one hand, I get hit by a car. On the other, I look like the incompetent 26-year old who doesn't know how to ride a bike and crashes into inanimate objects. One bruises my body while the other, my ego.

This morning, the newscaster told me today would be significantly less windy. I'm here to tell you she is a liar. My ride to work was the worst yet! At one point on 15th street, it gusted so hard in my face, that even while peddling, my bike quickly became stationary.

Other than that, its just a mediocre Wednesday. My legs are feeling heavy with every run lately, so I think I'll finish out what I had planned for this week, then back off on the miles next week. That will mesh nicely with being in Steamboat for a long weekend, which is very much needed.

1 comment:

  1. hehe the mental image of you pedaling and being completely stationary makes me giggle

    ReplyDelete