Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Making Levar Burton Proud

Right around the corner from my old office in DC was this wonderful little used bookstore. Lauren and I would drive over every now and then on Saturdays and wander around, picking up bagfuls of new books to take home with us and fill our bookshelves. On one trip alone, I came home with no less than a dozen books.

Unfortunately, I have also been in grad school for the past three years, severely limiting my reading time. And when I wasn't reading for school, I wanted to turn my brain off as much as possible which usually meant sitting mindlessly in front of the TV.

Now that I've adjusted to living alone, I have found so many more hours for reading. Having no roommate to goof off with and not a whole lot of TV channels to watch, I'm happily filling my nights and weekends with all of those books that were dormant on my shelves.

As previously mentioned, I have book ADD - I'm STILL trying to finish The Happiness Project (she moved onto topics such as spouses and children, which I couldn't relate to as much), and am almost done A Walk in the Woods for approximately the millionth time. American Wife still sits unfinished on my nightstand, keeping My Horizontal Life company.

But in spite of those pages waiting to be finished, last night I started yet a new book: Eat, Pray, Love. Yes, I realize I'm a few years behind the times. Quite frankly, I hadn't wanted to read it when it was being hyped, but now that the movie is being released, I'd rather read the book and compare (although, really, a book is almost always better).

So far, this book falls into a unique category of "books that keep me awake." Usually I read right before bed, and therefore most books make me sleepy. After reading for 3 hours last night, I was still wide awake, trying to read just one more chapter. I have plans tonight, but I'm excited to get home after them and crawl back into bed with Liz and her yearlong adventure in self-discovery.

But after I finish this book, I swear I'm going to finish the others. Unless something better comes along...

3 comments:

  1. the time traveler's wife: so much better than the movie.

    "outlander" series - amazing but will eat your life for at least a year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Butterfly in the skyyyy...."

    Also, yes. I am reading The Time Traveler's Wife for the 5th or 6th time. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw what that book did to lauren and I refuse to read it!!! She came into my room bawling AND was depressed for 3 days - no thank you!!

    ReplyDelete