Monday, August 2, 2010

Take me out to the Ballgame

Sunday afternoon I went to my very first Rockies game. The Rockies were finishing up a three game sweep of the Cubs and the previous two games had been nothing short of incredible. On Friday, the Rockies scored a record 12 runs in the bottom of the 8th, which captured both franchies and MLB records for hits in one inning and consecutive hits (13 and 11).

Saturday's game resulted in an apparently elusive "cycle", where one hitter hits a single, double, triple, and home run all in one game.

So Sunday, I was moderately excited to go to the game. Not being a huge fan of baseball, I was at least excited to see what the beer selection would be at the ballpark. It was pretty standard fare, Blue Moon, Coors Light and Coors "heavy" (Also known as Coors Banquet - who knew??).

I met a few of Kyle's friends and they were very nice, but most live outside of the city. I thought I had found a fellow eagles fan, a girl who graduated from Springford, but she is unfortunately more into baseball and hockey. It was nice to talk Philly for awhile, though.

The stadium is located in or near LoDo (I'm still not sure of the boundaries), where to the east you can see the skyscrapers and to the west you can see the mountains. Or so I'm told. It was a bit hazy that day, so the mountains were only occasionally visible. The game was apparently a good one, with the Rockies winning 8-7. Afterward Kyle and I went to a yummy burger joint on Colfax, a dodgy street known for dive bars and interesting characters. Our last stop was called The Cheeky Monk - a Belgian beer place that my Dad will really enjoy when he comes out to visit (so long as my mom can ignore the sketchiness of the area its in). Colfax is not somewhere I'd want to be alone after dark.

So that was pretty much my weekend. How was yours?

2 comments:

  1. you say, "ballgame," I hear, "beer beer beer." yum.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Katie...but don't tell my judgmental doctor ;)

    ReplyDelete