Monday, August 9, 2010

You've spoiled me, East Coast. While I'm really enjoying Denver and it's lack of humidity, there are a few aspects of the East Coast that really can't match up.

I tried out a new church this weekend. While I have always appreciated the experiences I had at Central, I don't think I ever really grasped how much that church (used) to have its act together. The music program was beyond phenomenal and the youth groups were very active. I still credit the church for keeping me out of much more trouble in high school.

The church I tried was the First Baptist Church of Denver, a mere 15 minute walk from my apartment which was delightful at 10 am on a Sunday, before many other people are out and about. I had to ask someone where the sanctuary was, which was a bit embarrassing - I mean, who can't find the biggest room in the entire building?? The attendance was low, but that's to be expected for a Sunday in August. The reason I had picked this church was because its traditional service and open church choir. The new age non-denominational church groups have always been a bit of a put off to me, as they seem to really strive to not fit the traditional church mold, as if they will only attract members by pretending not to be a church.

But within five minutes, the associate minister recognized that I was new and came by and said hello and offered me a welcome packet. The senior pastor had a great message that I really enjoyed, and instead of preaching, it felt like more of a conversation, even though the congregation wasn't talking back. One verse into the first hymn, however, I discovered that I reeeally can't hit those high notes anymore, but I have no idea how to sing alto, so I squeaked my way through it, offending the ears of those around me.

During the portion of the service where you get up and talk to the people around you (I felt very uncomfortable - one woman even hugged me, pushing my personal space issues to the limit), but a girl around my age (with spiky pink hair) introduced herself to me and said she led the young adult group. Given that there were only 3 young adults in attendance, I have a feeling its a small group to lead.

Overall, I'll definitely return. Everyone seemed welcoming and friendly, but it was certainly nothing compared to what Central once was and I will have to be conscious not to compare the two.


Sidenote: I've already hit an internal conflict. The church service runs from 10:30 - 11:30, while sunday football begins at 11 am in Denver. When the Eagles play the early game, it will be hard to decide to go to church instead of the local bar...

2 comments:

  1. E-A-G-L-E-S EAGLES! Silly you for moving into a time zone where you have to set your alarm to watch a game. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you ask Fellowship Paul where the sanctuary was? :)

    And this is why I don't play mixed doubles in the winter. They only play on Sundays. No can do!

    ReplyDelete