Monday, August 30, 2010

The end of the Plague

I had an incredibly boring weekend. Determined to kick this cold/flu/bronchitis (WebMD tells me I could have any one of them, and also a slew of horrible sounding diseases that I cannot pronounce), I stayed in bed quite literally all weekend.

Like the good Eagles fan I am, I tried to go watch the game on Friday evening. I had been doped up on Robitussin all day and was feeling downright jubilant, so I ventured 2.5 blocks away to Govnr's Park and bellied up to the bar. But the game wasn't on. By the time I'd ordered my beers (2 for 1 happy hour), the Saints game was playing, but the Eagles were not televised. Even worse, I tried a new beer (Sunshine Wheat - New Belgium), and I couldn't stand the taste of it. When I mentioned this to Kyle, who braved my germ cloud (not unlike Pigpen's) and watched the game with me, I realized that it was not the beer, but my tastebuds that were making the beer taste terrible.

Around 7:30 my Robitussin high ended and I became so tired and run down that I went home mid-beer. It was an overall disappointing evening, especially when I got home to find the Eagles were losing to the Chiefs (although we ended up winning in the end).

So Saturday morning I made my way to Target and stocked up on anything and everything that would make me better. Humidifier, tissues, more Robitussin, cough drops, hand sanitizer, you name it. After a quick stop down to Englewood for a previously-scheduled reflexology appointment, I swigged some more Robitussin and headed to REI for the first day of their Labor Day sale.

A pair of Keens and two tops later, I headed for home, plugged in my new humidifier, and spent the remainder of the weekend locked inside my apartment, swigging Robitussin and blowing my nose profusely. After making my way through two seasons of How I Met Your Mother, I polished off Season three of Weeds on netflix yesterday. Never have I been so excited to go back to work on a Monday, if only to leave the confines of my apartment.

I'm remarkably better this morning, left with only a residual cough when I breath deeply. I feel a bit badly, this morning 3 or 4 coworkers are now sick as well, including my boss. But when the Berger mentality is to 'work through your illness' its really not my fault. While I did take half days, there were things that needed to get done, so I had to keep coming in. I plan on taking it easy this week in order to keep it that way - big weekend plans coming up!!!

3 comments:

  1. going home mid-beer? it's like i don't even know you anymore. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, what is reflexology, and I want a pair of keens, I discovered this weekend. that is all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Keens. It's like an addiction. And no pair I own are the same size. Go figure. And I don't know her either. Mid beer? Power through it, woman!

    ReplyDelete