Monday, August 23, 2010

Rudi vs Beer

Sunday morning I finally ran the 3.1 mile loop I mapped out about two weeks ago. My growing beer belly, while oh-so-feminine and attractive, has reached epic proportions and needs to be tamed.

I started out a little after 9, thinking it would still be cool. It usually stays in the 70s here until 11 or 12, so I thought I was good to go. I was mistaken. It was HOT. Thankfully, I was able to stay somewhat on tree lined streets, but ironically the big park I picked out as my turn around point was wide open and the sun was blazing in all of its mile high glory.

I also failed to realize the hills involved in my 5k mapping adventure. Around 2 miles, it was just one long uphill in the bright sun. I diverted off course a bit, following a lesser incline in a shaded area to the west of the park.

I had planned on doing a run/walk, as both my lungs and heart protest to too much running, but hadn't determined the intervals. Accepting how out of shape I am, I opted to run 1:30/walk 1:00. After a few intervals, my heartrate was refusing to drop out of the 170s during the walk, so I upped it to a 2:00 min walk, with the last minute being a power walk.

Overall, it took me a long 40 minutes (44 with a "for the love of God why won't my heartrate drop" cool down).

Total Calories burned: 469
Max Heart rate: 192
Average heart rate: 170

It was my goal to be able to run 3.1 before football season started, but I think I'd even be happy just to run/walk a lap, then walk a lap before football games on Sundays. After moving for 6.2 miles, drinking beer is a perfectly acceptable all day event, right??

2 comments:

  1. Of course it is! It's a pity you even have to ask :) And holy 192 HR! That's like me running the mile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I Love this post; you sound like me. Only difference being we have no hills and no shade around my brilliant outdoor selections - just blistering hot Florida sun!

    ReplyDelete